Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Last of Lovely Lane

Many students at Kennedy High School take advantage of a very unique and generous opportunity throughout the school year. Lovely Lane Church is located just across the street from our school. Not only do they sell parking passes to many of Kennedy's students but they provide a free lunch once a week to anyone willing to make the journey. Today was the last lunch of the school year so I am taking the time to reflect.

This past year I have become an official Lovely Lane attendee. I went occasionally during my freshman and sophomore years but I never made a routine out of it. Every Tuesday I wake up and go to school looking forward to a Lovely Land lunch. Some long and tough weeks it would be the highlight of my week! Not only is the food delicious but everyone there is very friendly! The lunches are served by some of the nicest volunteers, pastors and senior citizens.

The food served at Lovely Lane is absolutely 100 times better than anything I would ever be able to get at school. There are lots of unique dishes and I like being able to try new types of soups and casseroles. Some of my favorite meals served are the spaghetti, chicken noodle soup, and tacos. The main dish is usually served with a vegetable, fruit, side dish, and dessert! I actually feel like I am eating a well-balanced meal.

Lovely Lane is so generous to us Kennedy Students I don't know how we will ever pay them back. All they ask for is a free will donation to cover the cost of the food. I know that I don my best to donate a few dollars as much as I can. I wish that more students wouldn't just take advantage of a free lunch and ignore the donation basket. The lunches won't be able to continue if they aren't funded!

Something else I love about Lovely Lane is the weekly table centerpiece question. Each week there is a question in the middle of the table used to spark random conversation and it helps getting to know each other better, even if you sit with your best friends every week! Questions vary from serious to silly and cover a variety of topics. The prayer is also a nice addition to the lunch atmosphere. Every week a student volunteer leads the group in prayer which I think is really nice for a group of high school students to partake in.

I am definitely going to miss Lovely Lane lunch, the food, the people, and the atmosphere. I cannot thank you enough Lovely Laners!!

No comments:

Post a Comment