Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It's Up to You to Decide...The College Search

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" This is a question that kids ages 3 to 18 are consistently asked. The only thing that differs is how serious the answer must be. Once you reach about the age of 15, this question is real. You really have to know what you want to study and do for the rest of your life.

The college search has arrived. Being half way through my junior year of high school, the college search has definitely snuck up on me a little. This is the time that students should be visiting schools, talking to their guidance counselors and partaking in job shadows. I am finding it so hard to realize that I have to make some of this a priority. I can't believe that in one year I need to be basically done applying to colleges and sending in scholarship applications. I have no idea where the next 12 months will lead me.

Having a father as a guidance counselor is definitely to my advantage. He gives me advice on which tests to take and when to take them along with what schools have good programs and so on. These words of wisdom certainly come in handy, but by no means make the decision for me.

Quite frequently I am asked what I want to study, where I want to go to school, if I want to swim in college and many other similar questions. Almost every answer is "I don't know." I have a general idea that I came up with that I want to do something in the medical field, maybe a physical therapist or physicians assistant. I don't know for a fact this is what I want to do. I seriously don't know if I want to swim in college I will have to sit down and really think about that one before I research one thing or another.

This past summer when my family went to Wisconsin for a small last minute vacation, my parents took me on a few college visits. We visited University of Wisconsin-Platteville and Marquette University. I had no interest in these schools they were just convenient. Later that summer I had the opportunity to visit Drake University and Creighton University, both my parents have attended in the past. I liked things about each school, but nothing really stuck out at me. I don't know if I don't have an open mind or if I haven't found "the place" yet.

What I do know is that the next 12 months are probably going to be pretty packed with taking tests, researching schools and scholarships and hopefully taking some college visits. Luckily I still have time and don't have to rush on my decision making. In the end I know that its up to me to decide....and that's scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment